Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Amalfi Coast


The Group

4.7 - 4. 10 - Sorrento, Capri & Positano

For the weekend, Lisa and I, along with a big group of people we knew from the Syracuse program, went on an all-inclusive trip to the Amalfi coast (it wasn't really all-inclusive though.) It was really unbelievable, and just as great as any other trip I've been on. We got in really late on thursday night to our hotel in Sorrento(we left after class at 7, and got in at 3am.)


Friday
The big group of us woke up pretty early and took a ferry to the island of Capri - about 45 minutes away.

Pulling away from Sorrento

Sorrento in the distance

The first thing we did in Capri was to go on this really intense hike. Really, no one had warned us about this...I just was thinking it would be an average, leisurely hike. No - it was unbelievably steep and actually quite scary at times. That was the main reason for it being tiring - I was constantly so focused on not slipping or falling. But, when we got to the top it was really all worth it. We literally climbed to the top of the mountain, and could see all of Capri below us. We were inside a cloud! It was amazing.


Capri from the top - the picture really doesn't do it justice. It was a beautiful sunny day, but we were up so insanely high that we were inside of cloud and it was so windy and cold!

I look disgusting from sweating a lot from the hike...but I had to get a picture of me at the top (I'm pretending to hold the island, but my hands are a little too small.)

After hiking down and getting some lunch, the whole group of us rented a boat for the afternoon. The driver took us all around the island of Capri, up to cliffs and caves, and at one point we were able to jump off and swim! I jumped in and it was definitely the coldest water I have ever swam in...I was so shocked I think I stopped breathing. Pretty sure I was in the water for a total of less than a minute...but it was totally worth it. I swam in the Mediterranean! After the boat tour, we took a ferry back to our hometown of Sorrento and relaxed for a bit before going out to dinner.

Saturday
Another early morning. We got up, grabbed a little breakfast and waited for a bus to Positano. The ride ended up being at least an hour and so windy and curvy I couldn't believe it. I'm surprised people weren't getting sick. We got there, had lunch and then relaxed on the beach for the rest of the day...this beach was definitely in the top 3 beaches I've been to.

Here is where we stayed! They were "bungalows" - little cabins that held 4 people each. Luckily our big group was in cabins all next to each other. It was really fun.

Bungalow!

Just a sneak peek of the scary ride to Positano - round and round mountain after mountain.


Also one of the most beautiful rides I've ever been on.


Positano. Mountains covered in beautifully colored houses, clouds at the top, and a beach at the bottom...unbelievable.


Lisa and I decided this looked photoshopped - I swear it wasn't. There is just so much going on - all the houses, the mosaic church, the beach, and you almost forget those mountains and clouds in the background! This place is one of a kind.

Natasha, me, Lisa

Saturday night the group of us put together a bunch of tables and each made a dish for dinner (the bungalows had some really high quality cooking appliances...ha.) We had a feast - like 4 kinds of pasta, chicken parmesan, bread, wine, and Lisa and I made an awesome Carla-inspired salad. It was some good bonding and better than any restaurant would have been.

Sunday, we had the option to go to Pompeii on our own dime, but Lisa and I opted out since we're going next weekend with one of our classes. So, we hung out around Sorrento, looked for souvenirs (none, obviously) and had lunch. It was nice and relaxing after a pretty eventful weekend. Then, we hopped on the bus back and got in around midnight. I'm so glad I was able to fit in the Amalfi coast - it really is a whole different side of Italy! It was an amazing weekend, as usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment